Motor Vehicle Accident
VIRGINIA CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERSIn Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth…all of Tidewater, we are dependent upon cars to get around for work, school, and fun. Accidents are a frequent occurrence, as anyone who drives in Hampton Roads knows very well. If you’ve been hurt in a car accident by a negligent driver, you should speak with a Virginia personal injury lawyer. An initial meeting costs you nothing, attorney's fees are paid only in the event of a recovery upon recovery, and retaining a lawyer could mean the difference between obtaining a just result, or obtaining nothing at all.
HOW DOES MY LAWYER GET PAID?Our Virginia Beach based law firm is paid a percentage of the recovery. This works well for everyone. No fee is required up front as a “retainer” or advance fee, no attorney's fee is paid if no recovery is made.* Your lawyer’s compensation is directly tied to your results. In other words, lawyer and client have the same goals for the case from the start. *Filing fees and actual expenses of litigation are a separate issue, and although our firm may agree to advance those costs for you, ethical rules and guidelines require us to differentiate between fees, and costs.
DO I NEED A LAWYER?You are not required to have a personal injury lawyer. But it is very difficult for unrepresented people to obtain fair injury settlements. Without a lawyer insurance companies understand they won’t have to pay you the full, actual value of your case. Without the knowledge of the verdicts judges and juries award, and what an appropriate settlement value of a case might be, you don’t know when you have a fair offer. If you don’t like the offer, what can you do about it yourself? Not much…
COLLISIONS HAPPEN FOR A REASONMost car accidents are caused by carelessness – negligence – and could be avoided. There are many reasons, but we all know some of them as a matter of common sense:
- Distracted Driving
- Texting while Driving
- Drunk Driving
- Excessive Speed
- Failing to Yield the Right of Way
- Failing to Obey Traffic Signs
- Failing to Pay Attention to Traffic and Surroundings
BASIC THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT A VIRGINIA CAR ACCIDENT CASE
- Most collisions are the result of carelessness of one or more people
- Car accident cases are more complicated than people realize
- If you are hurt and not at fault, you are entitled to recover from the responsible person
- Speaking to an attorney about a potential car accident case costs you nothing but your time
- Attorney's fees are only assessed in the event of a settlement or trial verdict for you
- The statute of limitations for MOST BUT NOT ALL auto accidents is 2 years in Virginia.
- It is a very good idea to take photos of bruising, wounds, and other injuries, as well as photos of the vehicle damage
- Avoid mentioning your injury, claim, or case on Facebook and other social media
WHAT’S INVOLVED?More than you might expect. As a very brief summary, your personal injury lawyer will have to consider fault, your medical records and bills, consult with your treating physicians, determine all available insurance policies, negotiate with insurance companies and lawyers hired by the insurance companies, be aware of medical and other liens and try to minimize their effect on your recovery, and ultimately prove to a judge or jury that you were hurt in the collision, and that you deserve compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, inconvenience, and permanent injuries.
WHAT CAN SOMEONE WHO WAS HURT IN AN AUTOMOBILE COLLISION RECOVER?If you are a victim of a negligent driver, you are entitled to these damages under the law:
- bodily injuries
- physical pain and mental anguish
- any disfigurement, scarring, and any associated humiliation or embarrassment
- any inconvenience caused in the past and future
- any medical expenses incurred in the past and future
- lost wages
- property damage